STUDENTS ATTENDING A CANADIAN EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION, WHO ARE CANADIAN CITIZENS AND WHO MEET THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA, ARE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR THESE GRANTS.
Grant information and application forms are sent out to the relevant school boards each year, but students and guidance counselors may initiate applications by downloading the application forms below. Grants are made only to qualified Canadian educational institutions for the successful applicants’ use. The deadline for submissions is May 31st, 2019.
Michaëlle Jean Sudbury Afro-Canadian Heritage Fund Award - $2,000
The Michaëlle Jean Sudbury Afro-Canadian Heritage Fund Award may be presented to one or two students of Afro-Canadian/African descent who meet the following criteria:
- Secondary school students of Afro-Canadian heritage/African descent who are applying to a post-secondary institution in the current year
- The student must demonstrate a contribution to school and community life
- The student must be a resident of Greater Sudbury or North Eastern Ontario
- Financial need may be considered
- Scholastic achievement is an asset
Richard Roy Dixon Bursary Fund - $1,000
The Richard Roy Dixon Bursary may be presented to one student pursuing post-secondary education. The following criteria apply:
- Student has been identified in the top 25% of graduates
- Student has demonstrated the greatest academic improvement
- Student demonstrates financial need
Joseph and Gloria Sidock Award - $500
This award was created in honour of Joseph and Gloria Sidock to recognize their lifelong commitment to Blind RiverThis award was created in honour of Joseph and Gloria Sidock to recognize their lifelong commitment to Blind Riverand the surrounding community. This award is focused on volunteerism, leadership and outstanding contributions tolocal community in Blind River and surrounding areas. The recipient will be a student who actively volunteers,fundraises and displays a true passion of improving their community. Applications are to be sent in with two letters ofsupport from community leaders, educators or organizations. Examples of financial need will be considered, but nota determining factor in the final decision.
The successful applicant will be required to submit proof of acceptance to the educational institution specified in theapplication.:
- Student demonstrates outstanding contributions to their community through volunteer and fundraising efforts
- Student consistently puts forth his/her personal best
- Student displays a positive attitude and strong work ethic